By now I’m sure you know that the traditional bowl of cereal for breakfast is NOT the way to go if you want to optimize your health and body composition. I’m not talking about your good ol’ porridge here. I’m talking about the product that undergoes a process similar to the one below.
Here’s a schematic diagram of some of the machinery involved. Yummy! Just like grandma used to make!
I can hear some say ‘But it’s so quick and convenient to pour some cereal and milk into a bowl and start the day!’ The Mom in me would tell you to ‘suck it up’ and ‘get up earlier’ 🙂 But I do understand there are legit time constraints that some folks are under. I hope that after reading this recipe you won’t have to sacrifice Good Nutrition on the altar for the sake of Convenience. I invite you to take advantage of my ‘Cereal Killer’ breakfast. It’s just as quick to prepare, but SO much better for you.
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
2 cups yellow squash (peeled and chopped)
½ large onion (chopped)
1 large fresh tomato (chopped)
2 large eggs
½ cup egg whites (like Egg Beaters, etc)
green onions (chopped)
season to taste (I like to use Garlic Salt with Parsley from Aldi’s)
hot sauce (I use Frank’s or Tabasco)
- On med high heat lightly brown squash and onions (about 3 minutes) in Olive oil (spray)
- Meanwhile lightly beat together eggs and egg whites. Add hot sauce to taste. Set aside.
- Add chopped tomato to squash and onions and cook them down for another 2 minutes till soft. Season and set aside in a bowl.
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet. Scramble on med high heat till almost ready for a minute or so (They’ll continue cooking once off the heat. And no one likes overcooked eggs.)
- Serve the eggs topped with the vegetable mixture or on the side. In a theatrical gesture scatter some chopped green onions over the eggs
Have some fruit or berries (if you feel like something sweet)