Here is a killer recipe that my wife turned me on to. It was a big hit during our last weight loss challenge.
White Bean Chicken Chili
7 cups chicken broth
4-15.8 oz cans of great northern beans (or cannellini or navy)
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika (optional)
1/4 tsp ground red pepper ( or ground cayenne pepper)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 tbsps olive oil (for frying)
1 1/4 lb organic chicken breast, cubed
1 cup onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 jalepeno peppers, chopped (use more if you like spicy)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken broth and beans to a boil (I used half of the juice from each can too).
- Add all seasonings and salt and pepper, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer.
- In a saute pan, heat 2 TBSPs olive oil over medium high heat. Add cubed chicken and saute 3-5 minutes and then add to pot (chicken will still be slightly raw but will cook completely in the pot).
- In saute pan, heat remaining 2 TBSPs olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Rough chop cilantro and add to onion, garlic, jalapeno mixture. Saute for a few seconds, then dump all into pot.
- Let chili simmer for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. To thicken up the chili a little, use a potato masher to mash some of the beans up. A few mashes should do the trick. You could do this before adding the chicken if the beans are soft.