I’ve been accused of having gym owner ADD when it comes to gym equipment.
And, I won’t deny the allegations, lol.
I am constantly looking for a better way to get client results. So I may or may not have invested in every piece of functional gym equipment under the sun.
In this blog post, I am going to cover my 4 favorite cutting edge fat loss tools and techniques that we use on a consistent basis and why. I will even break down some of the exercises we use with each, so you get a good understanding of what they are capable of.
I have to admit #4 is by far my favorite.
Anyways, here we go:
1) Old reliable, the barbell.
If you thought I was going to pick a piece of cardio equipment, then this is definitely the post for you because STEADY STATE CARDIO CAN’T OUTPACE RESISTANCE TRAINING FOR FAT LOSS!
Some of you might be more shocked than I was when I found out the guy who sings this song looks like this!
Squats, deadlifting, bench pressing, and overhead pressing recruits and builds some major lean dense muscle (which raises the metabolism at rest where we burn approximately 70% of our calories).
I especially love barbells for complex training. If you are unfamiliar, a complex is a chain of exercises performed one right after the other. They work wonders for boosting growth hormone and shedding fat.
Check out this video for a killer barbell complex:
2) Prowler Sled
This is the perfect blend of total body strength combined with hardcore metabolic cardio training.
Just pushing it with arms extended alone will get your heart rate up and recruit every major muscle in your body. Shoulder stability, core engagement, glutes, quads, hammies, calves; you name it, it’s working.
Check out this great prowler circuit you can do with a prowler and a heavy rope:
3) The Ultimate Sandbag
So, you can do basically every exercise you can do with a barbell with a sandbag except it recruits MORE muscle because the sand shifts around, creating a further challenge to stabilize it.
I specifically like the Ultimate Sandbag because my members have been able to tear apart every other kind of sandbag due to usage.
There are a ton of exercises you can do with it, but here is a video of one of my faves. Notice my heart rate is being projected on the wall behind me. Check out how fast this shoveling drill gets me going.
4) The Kettlebell
Here are a few reasons why I loooooove this piece of equipment when it is put in the right hands.
1) The kettlebell is an ancient Russian weapon against weakness.
2) They are easy to find the exact right weight I need without having to put on or take off plates like a barbell. At Raw Fitness, we have kettlebells from 8.8lbs up to 48kg, which is 107lbs.
3) They look cool. Hey, I’ve got to keep it real, right?
4) The mass is off center, which makes my muscles have to work harder to keep it stable, thus creating a superior metabolic effect.
5) The swing is the thing! Watch this brief breakdown of the kettlebell swing which has been scientifically proven to have a crazy metabolic effect. It also really gets the glutes going too, which is one of our specialties at Raw Fitness.
6) The Turkish Get-Up is one of the most functional exercises on the planet when performed correctly. Here is a video of me doing a get up with the 40kg KB that my most awesome gym members chipped in to get me as a Christmas present! (Thanks again guys, it made my day in a big way)
Just doing 3-4 sets of 1 rep/side will get you muuuuch stronger in just about every other lift there is, and they are super fun when you get the hang of it.
So that’s it folks, we use many other tools here as well, but I wanted to give you some insight on our top 4.
If you haven’t already liked us on Facebook, then check us out at www.facebook.com/rawfitnessNC.
Committed to your results,