We all know that water is the essence of life. But, how much should we drink? How do I get all that water in everyday? Why drink so much water?
Keep reading for some tips, tricks, and benefits of drinking water.
How Much Water?
Standard practice suggests we drink 1/2 our body weight in ounces everyday. This number can change however, depending on some personal charactaristics:
- If you’re an athlete, you should be drinking more- at least 1.6oz./lb.
- Men typically need more water than women
- If you sweat a lot, replenish what you lost!
Why Drink So Much?
I could list about a billion reasons why water is so important, but here’s my 5 favorite benefits of consistently drinking enough water.
- Lubricating and cushioning your joints. If you have achy or ‘creaky’ joints, you might feel a difference with more h20.
- Get rid of toxins… AKA “de-tox.” The word ‘detox’ has gotten so many different definitions now, but truly, your body is always getting rid of toxins. The best way we do this is by going to the bathroom!
- Prevent headaches, confusion, and mood swings stemming from dehydration.
- Improve Skin Complexion- Keep your pores from drying out, and becoming tight and flaky.
- Keeps you ‘regular’- you know what I mean…
How Do I Drink More Water?
Keep forgetting to drink more water? Not sure how to get a gallon of water in everyday? Does this task intimidate you? Here’s my 5 best practices and tips to get more water in during your busy day.
- Carry a fun water bottle with you everyday. Put stickers on your Nalgene. Buy a water bottle that’s brightly colored and has your name on it. Let your personality show through your bottle. Have fun with it! (and save the earth by not using disposable plastic bottles)
- Set alarms on your phone to remind you to drink water every 30 minutes. It’s not quite as beneficial if you forget to drink water all day, then remember suddenly at 9pm and chug a gallon. We need it all day long!
- Join a challenge group on Social Media, or challenge and hold accountable a friend, coworker, or family member. Have fun with! Social Media is a great tool for accountability.
- Infuse your water- add some lemon, lime, cucumbers, or another fruit to your water to give it a little natural flavor. Plus tons of other health benefits from the fruit or veggie!
- Replace 1 sugary drink/day with a glass of water to help reduce your soda or sweet tea habit. Take baby steps!